How to play Taboo
Things you need to know before starting to play
The game includes:
Word cards are the key element of this game. On each card there is a keyword to guess and several forbidden words for that keyword.
Taboo also includes a horn that should sound when a player says any of the forbidden words.
The game also includes an hourglass that is used to measure each turn’s duration.
Goal of the game
TABOO rules: Gameplay
This is how to play a turn in Taboo:
- If he succeeds, he will put aside the card to his right —a point for his team— and turn the next card to try to score another point. And so on until the time runs out.
- If the keyword seems too difficult, you can move it to your left —point for the opposing team— and try the next one.
- You cannot mime.
- You cannot say the word in pieces or by syllables.
- It is not allowed to rhyme or say words that sound phonetically similar….
- Abbreviations are not allowed.
- You cannot say the word in another language.
However, you can say any word that is not in the card. For example, you can say MUSICIAN even though MUSIC is a forbidden word.
Game over. Who wins?
Variants: the Taboo die
The player whose turn it is rolls the Taboo die before starting to describe words. The die has symbols on its faces that indicate how the rules will be modified in that turn. Possibilities are:
- Only one player on the team can guess the word
- Double time
- Both teams can guess the word
- Statue: the describing player cannot move and the other team shows him the cards.
Tips for playing Taboo
Where to buy TABOO
You’ll find Taboo in stores specializing in board games. Also available on any ecommerce platform.
It’s price usually ranges around $30.
Check current price and deals for Taboo on Amazon